Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Well, I was thinking about this all morning while we were on our way to and from the temple, and I have come up with a blank. Nothing really spectacular or amazing has happened this week so I don’t really know what to write to you about. We did all the normal stuff all week. We had class, ate, more class, ate, gym time, slept….and over and over again. Normal week. We taught our first lesson in Portuguese. It was pretty cool. On the week that you don’t proselyte, you do this thing called TRC. I really have no idea what it stands for, but we’re supposed to teach members from around the area. They come in and pretend they’re investigators. There is a camera in the room and they record your lesson and then you watch it afterward. Apparently they didn’t have any members the day we taught because we just ended up teaching some Brazilian missionaries. It was still good though. We got through the lesson without too many snags. My parts are really simple and to the point because I don’t know much Portuguese. I just say what I know, but that’s okay. It was cool. We watched it and I don’t think we did too badly. They even asked us a few questions and we were able to understand them and answer their questions alright. It was cool. So did Kelly make it back yet? I bet she’s having so much fun at home with the family. I understand how hard it is now to be away and I’ve only been gone a month! Crazy! I can’t believe 1/18th of my mission is already over. I got to work really hard for the next 17! It’s so crazy how short we’re out here. The time just flies. I think its going to fly even faster when I get out of the MTC. It’s actually really strange. The days seem really long. We work and study all day every day…but the weeks fly. It’s weird. When people ask me how long I’ve been here, I want to say a week, but it’s been 5! Holy cow!

Oh yeah, and I can receive emails from anyone on my myldsmail account, Melissaorto@myldsmail.net I just have to write them back. So you can tell people they can email me if they want. Just let them know that I will probably write them back on www.missionties.com If not, it will be 3 weeks later in the mail. Just fyi. So….hows the preparing for Thanksgiving going? I have heard that they have a big lunch for thanksgiving with normal thanksgiving food mixed with Brazilian food. I have been told they serve turkey and mashed potatoes and pies and ice cream. I sure hope it’s good. I’m thinking I may not want to eat breakfast tomorrow so I can eat more at lunch! I won’t lie though; the food here really isn’t bad. The rice and beans never fail. Every day they serve it. Then they serve other random things…a lot of meat. I have salad almost every day. They serve really bizarre desserts. I’ve only had a few good ones. They also serve strange fruit. I haven’t found too many that I like. We’ll see what it’s like in Recife. I can’t wait to go, but I’m also really nervous. Portuguese is hard!!!

Mom, I got your letters this week. Thank you! They always make my day. Getting mail here is like Christmas. Seriously. We’re going proselytizing again this week. I’m excited. If it’s anything like last time, I will LOVE it. Last time was so amazing. I’m sure it will be cool again. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Sis K and I taught our first short lesson in Portuguese to one of the teachers, Sis. Michelotto. We were practicing it. Anyway…after we were done she critiqued us and told us what to do better and what went well and all that. They we just ended up in a conversation about Portuguese and she told us that God will bless us so much learning it. We are learning it for him. We didn’t choose to learn it for ourselves. We’re learning it to serve him. Wow, I never thought about that. How true though. I never chose to learn Portuguese. I’m doing it to share the Gospel with my brothers and sisters. Of course God will bless me to learn it. I mean, I knew he would bless me, but I never thought about the fact that the only reason I’m learning it is for him. Never in my life would I say, hey, you know, I should learn Portuguese. Yeah anyway…I thought that was a good thought. Well, I guess I better go now. There are a million elders waiting to use the computers and I’ve been on for a while. I love you so much. Thanks for all the love and support. I love hearing from you. Keep up the good work! Keep sharing the gospel! It’s amazing! Tchau! Com amor, Sister Ortolani

No comments: