Wednesday, December 10, 2008

So again, a pretty uneventful week. We learned some more things....ate more....pooped more :) That’s pretty much missionary life in the MTC. Ha-ha. We did go and teach in this thing they call TRC (Teaching Resource Center) where members from around São Paulo will come in and pretend to be investigators. We taught our second lesson (The Plan of Salvation) in Portuguese. I pretty much put everything in God’s hands because I really didn’t have sufficient time to prepare for it. We started preparing it only like 2 days before. I worked hard to remember everything and when we actually taught the lesson it all went fine. I was super nervous though. We actually had an investigator in our room with a bunch of members. It was very cool but very nerve-wracking. God blessed us so much though. I remembered the majority of what I had prepared to say, and was able to say it understandable and simply. Even though Portuguese is killing me....I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to learn it. When else would I learn another language with so much help from the Lord? It’s really good too because my vocabulary is so small in Portuguese that I am forced to keep my lessons simple....like they should be. There is a quote from John Taylor that says: It is true intelligence for a man to take a subject that is mysterious and great in itself, and to unfold and simplify it so that a child can understand it. I feel like I am really forced to do that right now. It’s so good though because in English...I think I would be tempted to tell the investigators everything and that would only confuse them. All they need to know right now are the basics.

Oh yeah... I forgot to tell you last week...when we went to the São Paulo temple; we did the session with President and Sister Jackson. They are the mission presidents of the São Paulo Interlagos mission and they are in Nana and Papa’s homeward. Pretty cool. I had met them previously because they spoke at the MTC but it was cool to do the session with them. This world is so small. Oh and I don’t remember if I told you or not, but I met a guy that went to school with Erica and Alexa Ortolani. He saw my name and was like, hey, I know some Ortolanis’. Elder Cook is his name. He is a great missionary. He is actually in our ward. Sister Kennard and I have actually trained a few districts on how to use their planner and how to study effectively and his district was one of those. He and his companion Elder Clark will be great missionaries. You’ll have to pass that on to Nana and Papa so they can tell Kent or something...or you could tell Kent. Either way. That might be cool to hear.

I’m growing accustomed to the fact that I can’t talk to ya'll every day...and that’s okay. I get to talk to you every week. I’m really trying to lose myself in the work. I know it will be a lot easier when I get in the field. Can you pray for my trainer? I am praying hard that she will be patient with me. I need someone who is very patient and understanding. It’s going to be a rough month trying to speak in broken Portuguese. I don’t know if I’ll even be able to understand what she says to me let alone any of the members or investigators. I think I’m going to feel very alone. It’s going to be an interesting experience but I’m really looking forward to actually getting to share my testimony and the spirit with people that are investigating the church. Plus I’m excited to actually get to Recife. There is 1 girl that just got to the MTC last week....A Brazilian...that is going to Recife. This is the first sister that I’ve met that’s going there. There are a few other Elders as well. I don’t think my mission is very big because there are always small amounts going there. It’s cool though. I hope that we get to spend more time together as a whole and getting to know the mission president and stuff. That will be a really awesome experience. I don’t really know what is going to happen once I get there since it will only be 2 days before Christmas. It’s going to be a very different Christmas this year. I don’t know what to expect, but that’s okay. It will be so humbling to actually spend Christmas really celebrating Christ’s birth. I feel like the majority of Christmas is centered on presents and candy and decorations....and family (which is good) but that it will be cool to really reflect on why we have Christmas in the first place, you know?

Did I give you a sufficient enough letter to post on the blog this week? I love the family. Seriously. Can I say that? My family is so amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better family. Seriously. I love you so much.

Well, I’m glad that I make you proud :) Oh yes...I am pretty positive that I will be calling you on Christmas but I don’t know any of the details yet. If I can’t call you....I’ll pretty much be heartbroken. Did I mention that I’m very jealous that you will be in Utah for the all the family Christmas parties? I miss nana and papa.

Can you please tell Dad to learn Portuguese....that would be AMAZING. I really don’t want to lose my Portuguese when I get home...but I’m contemplating learning Italian when I get back...but I don’t know if that would be very useful. Maybe I will move there for a little while or something...that would be amazing. I’ve just heard that Italian is very close to Portuguese. I think if I learned Spanish I would forget Portuguese but I’m still thinking about that too. You better have your phone on your hip!!! If I call and you don’t answer...that would be a very very sad day. I’m just about out of time though...maybe 5 more minutes. So in case I don’t send another one. I love you. I’ll write again next week. Last P-day in the CTM!!! Whoa. I only have 2 weeks left here...that’s crazy.

1 comment:

gallens said...

Hi,
i just picked up your blog surfing the web. I used to live in Recife from 1975-85 and am thinking of visiting next month. Any suggestions on hotels in Boa Viagem that are economical, clean and safe; maybe around $40 a day?