Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In the land of Bountiful...

Okay, I'm copying Erika who copied someone else...but I thought it was a good idea. I mean come on, I've lived in Bountiful since January so that rounds out to about 7- ish months. Thats a LONG time...for me. Who knew that when I moved down here I would end up staying here that long. I certainly didn't. Anyway...there are a few things that I've noticed about people in Bountiful and I will go ahead and make a list now.

1. Most people either HAVE money or like to pretend they do. There are a lot of nicer newer cars driving around the streets and at least the people I know don't like it if their car has a ding in the door or a scratch in the paint. I'm used to just not caring as long as it runs well.

2. A lot of the older women dress like teenagers....or younger than they are, at least. They'll wear big dangly earrings with bright pink shirts and sandals and a lot of make-up. I don't see too many grandmas with the mu-mu's or big ugly sweaters with little animals sewn on.

3. Tanning is cool. Its true, I even succumbed to this awful trend for a week. While I was there, though, I saw many-an-old-woman in there just waiting to get some more wrinkles.

4. Its not uncommon to see a general authority at the grocery store or the local gym. Seriously. There are quite a few of them that live around here and its not unusual to see them around town.

5. Its crazy how many people get pedicures...and how often they get them. Again, I succumbed to this trend. I didn't want to be the only person in Bountiful without a fancy flower painted on my big toe nail!! Just kidding. I really have gotten a few pedicures since I've been here, but not just for the fancy flower, though it is a perk :)....and I only had 1 pedicure in my life before I moved here...so that just goes to show...everyone LOVES pedicures.

6. There are a lot of young, recently married women who have some sort of photography business. They all went out and bought big fancy cameras and have watched all the other people take pictures so now they know what to do and where to go. I haven't noticed too many differences in anyones pictures, but they all love to take them and they do favors for their neighbors like taking pictures of their kids birthday party hoping that their neighbor will return the favor on THEIR kids birthday.

I don't really have any other observances right now...at least I can't think of any. And I know I'm stereotyping most of that...but its just what I've observed. Despite what you might think, I really do love it here and I hope my parents can find a house here in Bountiful when they retire. Its really a great town.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

That is so funny, I swear its hard not to get caught up in the local trends. in my old neighborhood it ws okay to not be obsessive about your lawn or go shopping in lounge pants, and the new neighborhood its a race to mow first and get done up to go to wal-mart. It's sad.

Anonymous said...

That really just made me laugh today! I love it. Living out here in Stansbury Park the main thing I've noticed is it's the mom who's the thinnest with the best short hair cut! ;)

Anonymous said...

This - made me laugh. Very nice. :-)

Grandma Tammy said...

Hey Melissa...
When you talk to your mom will you please tell her I said Hi... I am so excited for you and your mission call.. I wish you nothing but good things to come while you are gone.... Well I must get to work, so have a great day... Maybe one day we will run into each other..